In this post from the beginning of the year, we did allude to the fact that things were going to change. That we were going to slow things down a bit, and have a bit of a different focus.
As it turned out, this was more true than even we realised.
Without going into all of the details, there’s been some big life changes here at the HenHouse. Going back to work full-time was only one change, but one that had a pretty big impact on our ability to keep MoederKip going.
However the six month break actually reinforced that we really do need this little business in our life. That what we do as MoederKip fulfils us in a way that nothing else can.
And so we’re back. But right back to where we began - with MoederKip not focussed on commercial success, but on the process of creating, and sharing the joy that it brings.
So what does this all mean?
- We’ll still be making and selling children’s clothing and accessories. We’ll have some regular favourites that will always be available, but we’ll also be playing with different styles and products if we’re inspired. We may even sell the occasional grown up items, such as Shae’s favourite Mama Pants. There will be less focus on trying to develop coherent ‘lines’ of products, and more focus on making what we - and you - love.
- We will do the occasional market, or online stocking, but it won’t necessarily be to the level that we did before. While it’s lovely to have a regular presence at particular markets, we're not sure that we can keep up with the pace, so this will be on an ad-hoc basis. We’ll use our Blog, Facebook, Twitter, and Website to let people know when these happen.
- We’ve had to close the shop component of our website, due to ongoing hacking. This has been nothing more sinister than people using our bandwidth, however the emotional toll of constantly dealing with these idiots is too much, and so until we can work out a more secure offer, this will be taken down.
- In the meantime, the website will still be there for sharing information and photos of what we’re doing, and people can contact us directly for custom orders and sales at any time. We’ll also put items up occasionally on Facebook, or here on the blog. It won’t be as formalised and structured, but it will allow us to keep working through these changes.
- The Blog, and Facebook, will also go back to being about the creative process more broadly. So sometimes we’ll share what else we are doing - cooking, gardening, etc - and sometimes it will just be talking about trends, what’s inspiring us, or the creative process more generally. Hopefully it will be fun, light, and interactive, and encourages much more of a conversation with our followers.
We know this won’t work for everyone. We know that some people prefer a more formalised business offering. And that’s fine. But we do hope that those who stick around (and who have stuck with us this far), keep in touch.
Now, with that out of the way, it’s back to the business … or should that be joy … of MoederKip.